Foster Lake Cable Swims
An event hosted by Central Oregon Masters Aquatics at Foster Lake near Sweet Home, Oregon. Both a two-mile and one-mile race are being offered. Races this year will be on June 25, 2016.
So What on Earth is a Cable Swim?
USMS rules tell us that cable swims are open water swims done on a specially designed one-quarter mile straightaway course defined by a cable including frequent buoys. These courses are built to demanding specifications, with measurement tolerances within six inches only, and include an in-water start and finish.
What are the benefits of cable swims? They are a way to hold an open water swim in a well defined, relatively small area. They are the easiest open water courses to patrol and maintain swimmer safety. They are great venues for up-close, in-your-face competitive racing. Records are kept. And they provide a friendly transition from pool swims to open water swims, because cable swims share common elements with both kinds of swimming.
Pool swimmers will feel at home because cable swims include…
- Heats & Waves: Cable swims may have two heats. Within each heat, there will be 8-12 waves of 8-12 swimmers each wave with staggered starts, much like heats at a pool meet.
- Seeding: Swimmers will be arranged at the starts by 1650-yard or 1500-meter seed times.
- Steering: There’s a lane line (the cable) which makes swimming in a straight line pretty easy, even for those who are navigationally challenged.
- Measured Course & Records: Cable courses are the only open water courses to have measured distances certified to be accurate. And because courses are accurate, records are kept.
Open water swimmers will feel at home because cable swims include…
- A Non-Rectangular Body of Water: It’s free form, shaped by erosion with some small help from the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers.
- Cooler Water: No bathwater here! We expect about 70 degree water on normal race days.
- Variety: There may always be hot or cold air temperatures, sunny or inclement weather, wind, and waves.
- Crowds: Like all open water swims, everyone will seem to want to share your lane.
Come join the fun at the Foster Lake Cable Swims, at the only permanently-anchored cable swim course in the western United States!
Race Schedule (subject to change due to conditions):
7:30 am Lewis Creek Park opens for swimmers
8:00 am Check-in opens for all swims
8:45 am Check-in closes for Two-Mile Swim
8:50 am Pre-race meeting & marshaling for Two-Mile Swim
9:15 am Start of Two-Mile Swim
11:00 am Check-in closes for One-Mile Swim and awards for Two-Mile race
11:20 am Pre-race meeting & marshaling for One-Mile Swim
11:45 am Start of One-Mile Swim
1:00 pm Awards for One-Mile
1:15 pm Relay entries close
Eligibility & Rules
Open ONLY to 2016 USMS members or foreign equivalents. Eligibility will be automatically verified for online entries. USMS "One-Event" membership covering all races, is available for adults 18+ for $21. Current USMS rules will govern this event. In both cable swims, Catgory II suits - including wetsuits - are welcomed but scored in separate categories. See link above on swimwear for more details.
Final Results for 2015
Final Results for 2014
Final Results for 2013
Final Results for 2012
Results from 2011: